Opening Day Preview & Predictions

On Monday night the official MLB schedules were released, consisting of 40 league games and 20 interleague games. This years 60 game season kicks off on the night of July 23rd when the New York Yankees head to the nation’s capitol and take on the defending World Series champion, Washington Nationals. That game will be followed by a west coast matchup between this years World Series favorite, Los Angeles Dodgers take on the San Francisco Giants. Then the season really gets rolling the next day with games on all day long all across the country. Let’s get into a few of these Opening day games along with how the betting lines look for each game.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 4.17.38 PM

July 23, 7:08 PM

New York Yankees (-136) at Washington Nationals (+112) (7.5)

This game will presumably be a matchup of two of the greatest pitchers in the game with Gerrit Cole of the Yankees and Max Scherzer of the Nationals. In the first game of the year and the first game since last season being this late in the year I think it gives the pitchers an advantage so I would hammer the under on this game and take the Yankees as slight favorites.

July 23, 10:08 PM

San Francisco Giants (+230) at Los Angeles Dodgers (-278) (7.5)

I’m not really sure how this game got the slot of being the late night game on opening day because I think this is going to be a bloodbath in favor of the Dodgers. The Giants stink and the Dodgers are arguably the best team in the league I would take the Dodgers run line for this game since their moneyline is a bit too high to get any good profit without risking a ton of cash.

Now we head to the Opening Day games of day two of this season. There will be 14 games on July 24th so I’m not going to go through every game but I will get to the big matchups and games that I see you can get some good value on.

July 24, 4:10 PM

Atlanta Braves (+110) at New York Mets (-130) (8)

These two teams are looking like they’re going to fight it out all season long for the NL East title so this game is sure to be a good one to kick off the second set of games for Opening Day. The lines on this game have the Braves as underdogs and while I still think they’re the better overall team, if DeGrom starts for the Mets I would take them in this game but any other pitcher take the Braves.

July 24, 6:10 PM

Detroit Tigers (-200) at Cincinnati Reds (+170) (8)

When looking through the slate of games this game really stood out to me because I cannot understand how the Tigers are the favorite in this game. They ended last year with a record of 47-114 and finished last in the AL Central. I would hammer the Reds this game it’s just too much value to pass up on.

July 24, 7:05 PM

Miami Marlins (-175) at Philadelphia Phillies (+151) (8)

Just like the Tigers, Reds game I cannot understand the line on this game. How on earth are the Marlins favored in any game. If there are two teams that should never be favorited this year it’s the Marlins and Tigers so I would hammer the Phillies in this game and maybe put in a Phillies, Reds parlay.

July 24, 7:30 PM

Baltimore Orioles (-160) at Boston Red Sox (+140) (8)

I really have no idea what possibly went into making these game lines but just like the Marlins and Tigers the Orioles should never ever be favorites in a game either. The Red Sox aren’t really anything special this year but the Orioles are definitely not worthy of being favorites in this matchup. Take the Sox and parlay the Red Sox, Phillies and Reds and watch the money roll in.

July 24, 10:10 PM

Los Angeles Angels (-140) at Oakland Athletics (+120) (8.5)

Here we have a solid west coast late night matchup that I am hoping will be a shootout. For some reason this game stands out to me as a high scoring one so I would take the over in this game. It’s a toss up since both these teams are fairly good but if I had to take a side I’d take the Angels.

By Andrew Kalb