16 teams will be in action tonight across the NHL. We will see potential playoff matchups and some of the leagues best young talent go head-to-head. First, lets pick up where we left off last night.
The Las Vegas Golden Knights got their first ever win versus the New York Islanders in last nights come from behind victory. The Flames scored 2 goals in the final 2-minuets against the Philadelphia Flyers to force the game into overtime, and netted the game winner to complete the comeback. Chicago continued their dominance over the Penguins to get their 9th straight matchup win, stretching’s Pittsburg’s losing drought to 9 years in Chicago. Lastly, we saw the home team win for the 12th straight time between the Dallas Stars and Anaheim Ducks.
The game of the night has to be at 7:30pm when the Toronto Maple Leafs head to Tampa Bay to take on the Lightning. These two teams sit atop the league in points; TB-49/TOR-43. This will be their first matchup of the season, and first since the Maple Leafs loaded up with Tavares.
Another matchup to watch is at 8pm when Patrick Laine and the Winnipeg Jets host the Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers. We will see the 20-year old Laine (tied for 2nd in goals in NHL) go against the 21-year old McDavid (4th in Points in NHL). These two are fun to watch and have made quite the impression their first few seasons. Should be a blast to watch.
Lots of other matchups to get into, so lets get started…
Los Angeles Kings @ Columbus Blue Jackets
- LAK is 7-1-1 in last 9 matchups overall.
- CBJ blew a 2-0 1st period lead against LA last year, ended up losing 5-2.
- LAK goalie J. Quick is 16-6 career vs CBJ.
- Quick is 0-3 on the road this year, 3/3/4 goals allowed.
- CBJ goalie Bobrovsky is 2-6-2 vs LAK career vs LAK.
- Both teams lost last game and blew leads. LAK blew 3-1 lead in 3rd period to BUF. CBJ blew a 1-0 & 2-1 lead to lose 3-2 to VAN.
- CBJ is 0-3 in last 3 at home.
- LAK is 1-3-1 last 5 on road.
- This is a tempting game to take. LAK has been terrible this year, no denying that. But they are another veteran team that can turn it on whenever. Just like Chicago last night, I like the history between the LAK & CBJ. If you are looking for an upset/good odds, this might be the game to take. CBJ has been struggling of late, I see LAK continuing their success against the Blue Jackets.
- If I had to pick; LAK ML (+170)
Arizona Coyotes @ Buffalo Sabers
- BUF is 6-2-1 last 9 matchups overall.
- BUF goalie C. Hutton is 3-0 last 3 home starts, letting up 2 goals in each. He is also 6-0-1 in last 7.
- ARI goalie D. Kuemper is 1-3-1 last 5 road starts. All losses he let up 4/5 goals.
- ARI has lost 3 in a row.
- ARI is on a stretch of 4 losses, 4 wins and currently on another 3 game losing streak.
- BUF is 1-3-2 since their 10-game win streak.
- BUF is 10-3-2 @ home.
- ARI is 7-6-1 on road.
- ARI is in the middle of a 4 game road trip. This is their 3rd 4-game road trip this season. They went 2-2 & 1-2-1 in those trips.
- Both of these teams are in a “rebuilding stage” of their franchise. However, Buffalo is way ahead of Arizona in the rebuild. Both teams are loaded with young talent. I see Buffalo being the better team tonight and getting the win. Arizona is struggling this past week, and Buffalo goalie C. Hutton is playing great. I am riding the hot hand in net and taking Buffalo.
- My pick; Buffalo ML (-160)
Toronto Maple Leafs @ Tampa Bay Lightning
- TOR 2-5-1 over last 7 @ TB, 6-9-2 last 17 over last 4 seasons.
- TOR since getting Matthews, 2-1-1 @ TB.
- First matchup this year.
- 4 of last 8 have been decided by 1 goal.
- TB leads league with most home wins.
- TOR leads league with most road wins.
- I would stay away from money on this game. It will be a great game and interesting to see how they match up now that TOR has loaded up with Tavares. This will most likely will be a playoff matchup come April/May. I think both teams will bring their best and play a sound game. Team to make the late mistake loses.
- If I had to pick; Under 6.5 (+105).
Carolina Hurricanes @ Montreal Canadians
- Over last 3 seasons (this year included) MTL is 1-6 vs CAR. Only MON win was at home.
- CAR won this years game at home, MON outshot CAR 49-22 in the 2-1 loss.
- Price is 14-10-2 vs CAR
- Mrazek is 3-2-2 vs MON
- MON has lost 4 games this year scoring 1 goal. They are 4-0 in following games, they lost their last game 7-1 @ MIN.
- MON has only had back to back loses 1 time this year (other than a 5 game losing skid)
- CAR got hot this time last year, going 8-1 between 12/12-12/29
- I like Montreal in this game. The main reason being that they lost 7-1 in their last game. They are better than they were last year, loading up with gritty young talent. MON controlled most of the last game but lost on the road. I see Montreal getting revenge for the both their last game on Tuesday and their last game against CAR.
- My pick; MON ML (-120)
Florida Panthers @ Minnesota Wild
- MIN is 6-2 in last 8 vs FLA, 4-0 @ home.
- MIN has won last 6 at home overall, last FLA win in MIN Mar. 9, 2009.
- Dubnyk is 8-1 vs FLA in career.
- Luongo is not playing for FLA.
- Minnesota ended a 5-game winning streak for FLA last year.
- FLA is 5-7-2 on road this year.
- FLA is on a 3 game losing streak. They have not lost more than 3 in a row this year.
- MIN has been one of those teams over the past few years, that have been so good at home and just average on the road. Yet again, they got points in 11 of 15 home games this year so far. FLA is reeling right now, this just seems like a game MIN wins at home.
- My pick; MIN ML (-165)
Edmonton Oilers @ Winnipeg Jets
- EDM won this years game that was @ WPG. WPG was up 4-1 in 3rd, EDM came back to win in OT.
- WPG swept 3-game series last year, EDM did the same the year before.
- Over the last 4 seasons WPG has not won at home vs EDM by more than 1 goal. 3-4 @ home, 2wins in OT/SO, and one win by 1 goal.
- EDM is 7-2-1 in last 10.
- WPG is 7–3 in last 10
- Hellebuyck is 3-4-1 vs EDM. Only team he is under .500 against that he has played more than 3 times.
- This should be a good game with some of the best young talent going head to head. Another game I would stay away from. WPG is very tough to beat at home, but EDM has proven they play them well. When McDavid is on your team, you can score a bushel of goals in a flash. I don’t want to bet against McDavid where he has proven he can win, and same goes for Winnipeg who is tough in their building.
- If I had to pick; Over 6 (-110).
Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators
- NSH 12-5 @ home.
- VAN 8-9-2 on road.
- NSH 8-4-1 vs VAN last 13 overall.
- NSH goalie P. Rinne is 12-11-2 vs VAN.
- They played 2 weeks ago, VAN won and dominated @ home.
- NSH is missing 3 top 6 Forwards and P.K. Subban.
- Van won in NSH last year, overcame a 3-2 deficit in 3rd period to win 5-3. VAN has won 3 games in a row. They have not won more than 3 in a row this year.
- They have done it twice, losses @ DET & WPG ended those.
- NSH started 16-5-1, since they are 4-5.
- This is a tough game to pick. I would stay away from putting money on this one. VAN has proven they play NSH tough, even in Nashville. NSH is very banged up and have not been playing great as of lately. I could see VAN winning this game, but I would never bet against NSH losing at home.
- If I had to pick; Over 5.5 (-110).
Dallas Stars @ San Jose Sharks
- SJ 10-3-2 @ home, 6-1-1 last 8 home games, last L was Toronto.
- SJ won 4 of last 5.
- DAL 6-9-2 on road, 3-5-1 last 4 road games.
- DAL 9-4-1 vs SJ overall last 14 matchups.
- DAL is 3-2 in SJ, 5-0 in DAL.
- DAL won both games (@ home) this year so far.
- First game was 3-3 until DAL scored with 5 min left.
- Second game DAL score 3 goals in 2nd period to win 3-2.
- SJ goalie M. Jones is 2-7 vs DAL overall in career.
- DAL goalie A. Khudobin is 5-1 vs SJ.
- 2-4-2 on the road this year overall.
- DAL has been another one of those teams where they are great at home but just average on the road. With that being said, they have proven they can win in SJ. SJ is playing very well right now. It is hard to bet against a team that has won 4 of 5, but they have a goal with a record of 2-7 vs DAL. It is also hard to bet on DAL playing on the road.
- If I had to pick; Under 6 (+105)
BUF ML + MTL ML + MIN ML = (+378)