There are 4 games on the slate for NHL action tonight, one in each time zone. First, we will see the Islanders look to continue their success against the Golden Nights. Then, on National TV (NBCSN) we will get to see two of the most successful franchises over the past 10 years clash when the Penguins head to Chicago. Next, the surging Flames will host the Flyers as they get their captain Mark Giordano back after a 2-game suspension. Lastly, Tyler Seguin and the Stars head west to Anaheim to face Ryan Getzlaf and the Ducks. I do not know anymore than the next person when it comes to betting on these games, since you never know what you will get from day-to-day in the NHL. However, there are some trends and stats with these matchups that call for some good hockey. Lets take a look….
Las Vegas Golden Knights @ New York Islanders
- Islanders went 2-0 vs Vegas last year. Only team to sweep them other than Minnesota.
- Islanders are 7-4-3 @ home; Vegas is 7-11 on the road.
- Fleury in last 3 Decembers 13-2-2. (10-0-2 coming into this year).
- Vegas had a 5 game win streak. Other than that streak, they are 3-7-1 after a win. All 3 of those wins came at home.
- If I had to pick; Islander ML (+125)
- Vegas is one of the toughest teams to beat at home, but they have been below average on the. The Islanders have been better at home.
Pittsburgh Penguins @ Chicago Blackhawks
- Chicago has won last 8 matchups overall.
- Chicago goaltender Corey Crawford is 8-1 career against Pittsburgh.
- Pittsburgh has not won in Chicago since Feb. 27, 2009.
- Chicago has earned a point in 8 of 14 home games.
- Chicago has lost 8 games in a row.
- If I had to pick; Chicago +1.5 (-175)
- This one is tough. As bad as the Blackhawks have been recently, and all season, I think they keep this one close and maybe pull out the win. At the end of the day, they have future hall of famers and 3 Conn Smyth winners on this team. So they have the caliber to turn it on, especially on prime-time. When Sidney Crosby healthy and playing, the Penguins also have the ability to beat any team. That is why I would take the goal here and hope for a good game on prime time.
Philadelphia Flyers @ Calgary Flames
- Since 11/1, Calgary is 8-1-1 @ home. 10-3-2 overall at home this year.
- Flames are 8-2-1 following a loss this year.
- Last year, the Flyers were 8-11-7 on Dec. 12. They had a 3-game road trip to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. They won all 3 games and sparked a 6-game win streak. Currently they are 12-13-3, in the third game of a 5 game road trip. They won the first game in Buffalo 6-2, then lost in Winnipeg 7-1.
- If I had to pick; Flyers ML (+145).
- I think Philly comes in and steals this one on the road. It just feels like a game they shouldn’t win, but will. After getting blown out in Winnipeg on Sunday, I see them bouncing back and getting a win on the road.
Dallas Stars @ Anaheim Ducks
- Home team has won last 11 matchups.
- Stars at 6-8-2 on the road.
- Ducks are 9-4-5 at home.
- Ducks are 8-2 in last 10, 6-1 last 7.
- If I had to pick; Anaheim Ducks -1.5 (+250)
- All I needed to see here was looking back the past matchups until 2015. The home team has won 11 straight. The Stars have been notorious for being great at home, and bums on the road. The Ducks have been playing great hockey, I look for them to win by a few goals in this one.
Will we see Crosby end an eight year winning drought in Chicago? Will the flyers do exactly what they did last year in this same spot in their season? Will an 11-game trend going back 4 seasons continue in Anaheim? Will Las Vegas record their first ever win against the New York Islanders? Who know. At the end of the day, stats are just numbers. Once the puck drops, past stats and results do not mean anything…