Tonight the four remaining teams in the Men’s college basketball tournament square off in hopes for playing for the National Title game Monday night.
The first semifinal features the story of the Tournament in South Carolina matched up against a school who finally got over the their past tournament demons in Gonzaga.
The game begins at 6:09 p.m. on CBS.
The night cap puts North Carolina against Oregon with an estimated start time of 8:49 p.m.
Lets take a quick look at how each team got here:
(7) South Carolina led by head coach Frank Martin and star Sindarious Thornwell have completed their fair share of upsets in dominating fashion.
- opening round against Marquette won by the final score 93-73
- defeated Duke 88-81
- beat Baylor in Sweet 16 by 20 with a final score of 70-50 (second 20 plus victory in the tournament)
- defeated conference rival Florida 77-70 in Elite Eight
(1) Gonzaga has been a top four team in the country all season. Mark Few has what may be his best team to date. Gonzaga has spotted an incredible 9-0 record against teams in the RPI top 50 and still do not get the praise they deserve. Nigel Williams-Goss is up for player of the year award and reserve forward Zach Collins has NBA scouts salivating.
Gonzaga path to the Final four is as follow:
- Defeated South Dakota State 66-46
- Survived late game charge against the tournamnet darling Northwestern winning by six
- Beat West Virginia 61-58 in Sweet 16
- crushed Xavier in Elite Eight 83-59
Oregon has recovered from the loss of Chris Boucher and have reached their first Final Four since 1939. Oregon led by stars Dillon Brooks and Tyler Dorsey have shot the ball unbelievably well so far in this tournament.
Oregon path to to the Final four is as follow:
- Defeated Iona 93-77
- Survived a last second shot by Rhode Island to win 75-72
- Survived the team of Destiny, Michigan, after Michigan missed the game winning shot, 69-68
- Defeated Kansas 74-60 after dominating the Jayhawks the entire game.
(1) North Carolina has been one of the best, one of the most consistent teams in the country this year. Their experience has helped them thrive this year, as it seems they never get rattled in close games. Justin Jackson has been terrific this entire year, playing like one of the best players in the country. However, the key is Joel Berry. If Berry is healthy, there is not many better point guards in the country.
North Carolina path to the Final Four is as follow:
- Defeated Texas Southern 103-64
- Defeated Arkansas, only after ending the game on a 12-0 run, 72-65.
- Defeated Butler 92-80
- Defeated Kentucky, for what looks like the best game of this tournament so far, after Luke Maye hit the second biggest shot in UNC history, 75-73.
South Carolina is having a run of all runs. They look like they have that March magic in them that no one saw coming. They’re that team that just never quits, they don’t care how many people write them off, they just prove everyone wrong. But the same thing can be said about Gonzaga. After only losing one game all season, this team is still treated as if they aren’t really that good. They have one of the best teams in the country, and they shouldn’t have to prove that anymore. This game is going to be phenomenal.
Gonzaga 77, South Carolina 75
In my honest opinion this is North Carolina’s Final Four to lose. After getting their hearts broken last year, they seem like they are extremely determined to win this title. Oregon is a tough team to play in the Final Four but as long as Joel Berry is close to 100% and Justin Jackson plays like he plays all year, North Carolina will defeat Oregon.
North Carolina 88, Oregon 81